Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Holiday Pop-Up Vendor - Vitrified Studio






  

"vitrifiedstudio is a small home based ceramics studio located in Portland Oregon founded in 2011.  All of the work is all limited production, high quality studio ceramics handmade and designed by me, Shelley Martin. These handmade studio ceramics are an alternative to the high volume mass produced repetitive work you find in other studios, workshops, and factories. I have no assistants, beyond photography guidance by my boyfriend, Mitch Snyder. Each piece is unique, considered, and made only using my hands, the pottery wheel, a few simple tools, local clay, food safe glazes and natural cork stoppers.

All of the ceramics are handmade in my backyard studio.  The clay used is colored stoneware and porcelain from the Pacific Northwest. The glazes are food safe and lead free. All of the work is glaze fired in my electric kiln to cone 4-6 depending on the clay's chemistry.  I really love that I am merely continuing a tradition that has been going on for thousands of years, making simple pots formed with my hands and clay, on the potter's wheel. "

You can find out more about Shelley and vitrified studio on her site.
And to see her work in person come by our Holiday Pop-Up Shop on Dec 1 and 2.

No comments: